Friday, 30 December 2016

2016 Favourites


So 2016 was a bit of a shit show. I can't wait to put it all behind us and bring on 2017. My standards have been set pretty low for next year so it's bound to be a good one. Anyway, despite this year's disappointments, there were some awesome things that happened. Here's a list of favourites so we can finish off the year talking about the good stuff.

Favourite Song: Heize ft Dean - And July
I've been getting into Korean hip hop this year and Heize and Dean are two of my favourites. And July is a chill song that always suits my mood, so I've been listening to it almost every day since it came out. Heize and Dean also collaborated on another amazing single this year called Shut Up and Groove. If they do another collaboration next year it just might make my 2017.

Favourite Music Video: Jane Zhang - Dust My Shoulders Off
I'd never heard of Jane Zhang before and I'm not sure how I ended up watching the video (probably just a recommended click on YouTube) but when I did, I was impressed. Jane Zhang is a Chinese singer and this is her first US single. The video moves through various famous paintings which is so fun to watch. The song is also pretty catchy!

Favourite Show: Planet Earth II
If you follow me on Twitter this will be no surprise. The film crew were incredible to get all those amazing shots and David Attenborough is a national treasure.

Favourite Movie: Zootopia/Zootropolis
I haven't actually given this one that much thought (I enjoyed quite a few other movies just as much) but I feel like it's one of the most important movies to come out this year. The whole movie is a not-so-subtle reflection of racism and stereotyping, definitely not just another silly talking animal movie. The world needs to sit down together and watch it.

Favourite Game: Pokemon Moon
Pokemon celebrated its 20th anniversary this year, and it's sure been one big party. There was huge hype around Pokemon Go, but my game of the year has to be Sun/Moon. I've been a fan of the Pokemon games since I played Pokemon Red when I was a kid. They've made some changes to the usual game format this time around so it's been a refreshing experience mixed in with the nostalgia.

Favourite Book: Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff
This was a hard one. I still haven't finished Murakami's 1Q84 so I had to disqualify it from this year's favourites, so I was going back and forth between Bad Monkeys and Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. Both books are incredible and quite different which made it hard to choose between them, but I had to pick Bad Monkeys because it's just the sort of book I've been looking for. It's one of those where you read it and think 'wtf is going on?' half the time - my favourite genre. It's an action packed thriller about a woman called Jane Charlotte who works for a secret organization. She's in the Bad Monkeys division where her job is to find and kill evil people.


Favourite Outfit Post: Slip
I'm so glad I caved and bought this Topshop slip dress since these things are so comfortable and easy to wear. Slip dresses might have been a huge 90s trend but for this post I brought it up to date a little. This outfit post is one of my favourites because I wore the dress to my graduation a few weeks before it, which is probably my biggest achievement of the year!

Favourite Skincare Product: Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream
Usually around this time of winter my face is dryer than my dad's sense of humour but this cream has saved it. I only wear it at night since it's very oily (as my pillowcases now know well) but I wake up with any looming spots of dry skin having disappeared. It's quite pricey but it's been well worth it this winter.

Favourite Make Up Product: Innisfree Powerproof Liner
It might not be my favourite ever liner but it's definitely the best I've tried this year. I reviewed it back in September and keep meaning to repurchase it. It's so easy to apply, long-lasting, and it's not too expensive.

I think that's a wrap. What were some of your favourite things about 2016? Or would you rather just forget it all happened? Either way, happy new year to all of you and here's to 2017!
SHARE:

3 comments:

  1. I really like both the Korean and Chinese artists you posted! Love the famous art MV especially.

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! I love that video, it's so cool how they transition everything.

      Delete
  2. Love these! And that Topshop dress is so beautiful!

    The Little Things | Louise x

    ReplyDelete

© Belle in Black and White | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig