Sunday, 4 September 2016

Pompeii Photo Diary

pompeii
One of the things I got most excited about on my recent holiday to Naples was that we would get to see Pompeii. It was absolutely incredible to go and get a glimpse at how people lived 2,000 years ago.
pompeii
Pompeii was buried under the ash of Mount Vesuvius' eruption in AD 79. The town was first rediscovered in the late 1500s but nothing much came out of it. 1748 marks the beginning of proper exploration and excavation, and today there are 44 excavated hectares of Pompeii (out of 66).
pompeii
A lot of the statues are later works that have been placed here on display. They might not be historically accurate but I think they add to the grand atmosphere.

pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
pompeii
I still can't quite believe that I went to Pompeii. I only wish it weren't so hot when we visited so I would've had more energy to see as much of it as I could. Still, getting to see it at all was amazing and if you're ever in the area it's worth the day trip.

Pompeii Tips

  • There was one hell of a queue for tickets when we arrived at around 11am. We got around this by paying a bit more for tickets closer to the station (which also includes entry to an exhibition). Another way to get around the queue is to go later in the afternoon. It was pretty much gone by the time we left at 2pm.
  • If you're going in the summer, take precautions as it gets scorching hot. Bring a water bottle, wear sun cream, and use an umbrella for shade.
  • To get to Pompeii from Naples, you can take the Circumvesuviana line to Pompei Scavi Villa Dei Misteri station. Keep in mind that the train gets pretty packed and watch out for pickpockets. It can also get really hot as the trains are quite old and has no AC.
SHARE:

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! It's such an incredible place to visit.

      Delete
  2. These photos are stunning! I'm not too sure about the additions of the sculptures but I suppose it doesn't look too out of place. I am definitely keen on visiting one day, Pompeii and Herculaneum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got there I was like 'woah all these statues are in good shape' but then you see what year they're from and it's like oh that makes more sense.
      Herculaneum is awesome too! Definitely recommend visiting both.

      Delete
  3. I didn't manage to head to Pompeii on my trip to Italy so it's great to see your photos and a glimpse into the place.

    nat // dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post! Also, there's always a next time :)

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel - hot weather can really drain the energy out of you, especially when you're out walking the whole day! But these photos look amazing!

    xaintly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's quite annoying, I really wanted to be able to look around more but I get tired too quickly when it's hot.
      And thank you!

      Delete
  5. These photos are beautiful! Looks like you had such a good time. I'm dying to travel Italy, these photos are tormenting me haha!

    https://paigeunread.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe my apologies! Italy is such a beautiful country and you'll have a great time when you go!

      Delete
  6. Very great pictures !! Also love your blog ♥
    Can we follow each other ? Let me know in comment and I will follow you back !

    Suzanne xx
    Check my blog : https://yourlovelyplace.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete

© Belle in Black and White | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig